You guys know I love discovering and discussing anything to do with breathing. And when it comes to chronic nasal obstruction and mouth breathing, anxiety is never far away. And my guest this week has dedicated his life’s work to discovering how the power of breathing can relieve anxiety and so many other related issues.
Recently, I was lucky enough to interview Patrick McKeown on this subject. Patrick is a Buteyko breathing practitioner and trainer, and author of eight books, most notably, The Oxygen Advantage. I learned so much from my conversation with Patrick, and whether it’s you who has a blocked airway, or your child, what Patrick has to share is incredibly useful.
Tune in this week to discover the power of breathing to relieve anxiety. Patrick is discussing why disordered breathing is affecting so many children and adults’ mental health, and how his Buteyko Mindfulness Method eases the parasympathetic nervous system, improves concentration, and leads to greatly improved overall health.
If you enjoyed today’s episode, I would really appreciate if you could leave a rating and review to let me know what you think and to help others find the Mind Body Mouth podcast!
What You’ll Learn from this Episode:
- How Patrick became something of a spokesperson for Buteyko breathing throughout the world.
- Why asthma, nasal obstruction, and mouth breathing have such a profound effect on overall attention and concentration.
- What changed everything for Patrick, after years of consulting with doctors who had failed to recognize how to help him.
- How western education has failed in teaching us how to take control of our thought processes and deal with the physical side of stress.
- How to use Buteyko Breathing to open up your blocked airway and the reasons why it’s so effective.
- Some common misconceptions about carbon dioxide and the role it plays in the breathing process.
- Why there it is impossible to work through anxiety properly with disordered breathing.
- Patrick’s advice for anyone whose child is exhibiting anxiety.
- How addressing breathing and physiology first makes mindfulness, central nervous system, and panic disorder work so much more effective.
Listen to the Full Episode:
Featured on the Show:
- If you’re in the New South Wales area, visit Dr. Molloy at her dental practice, Vitality Dental Tuggerah
- Patrick McKeown: Website | Instagram | Facebook
- The Buteyko Breathing Method
- Buteyko Breathing Exercises for Children
- The Buteyko Mindfulness method
- The Buteyko Clinic App
- The Oxygen Advantage by Patrick McKeown
- Atomic Focus by Patrick McKeown
- The Breathing Cure by Patrick McKeown
Enjoy The Show?
- Don’t miss an episode, listen on Spotify and subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher or RSS.
- Leave me a review in Apple Podcasts.
- Join the conversation by leaving a comment below!